Official Blog of Allison Ethier

My photo
Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
Official blog of Allison Ethier NSCA Personal Trainer, ISSN Sport Nutrition, Educator & Mom

09 February 2011

2011 Arnold Classic Blog - Update 4

Hi Everyone -

It is funny how time flies, and then one day you wake up and someone makes a comment, "hey you are looking skinny".  Yes, it is happening.  "The change".  By 'the change' I mean that I am looking more in shape on the outside, and things start moving at a quicker pace.   Quicker, hmmm more top down I should say - a little bit everywhere but the top always gets leaner quicker than the bottom.  I just have to be patient to make sure the bottom catches up in time.

There are moments during the prep that I love, or I should say things about my body, and my life that I love when I am preparing for a show.  And of course to be balanced, there are things that I am not so fond of. 

For instance, when I am preparing for a show I am at my most busiest with my work, super efficient, organized, sometimes feel that there is a lot of work to do and am always moving.   Things are more likely to get accomplished, and I feel proud of how much I do achieve day to day.  Food is just fuel to move on to the next activity - to keep hunger at bay, and my body moving.  My social experiences are more focussed on the people rather than the food that is being offered.    For me when you take the option of having those foods that would not be considered part of a pre-competition diet phase out of the equation the stress of choosing to eat or not eat those foods is lessened.  Sure near the end of the whole process - let's say the last 2 weeks I am ready to eat, but when you are that close, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. 

For instance this weekend, I was out socializing, and even though those around me were eating regular food, I did not miss it (again depends on how good the meal that is being offered really is...;) and comments like, "Oh, Allison I never have to worry about you" often are said.

Another thing that I love is my skin - my skin has never been better.  The diet, consistent training, good rest, gives me good skin. I have found my 'trigger' for bad skin - too much saturated fats.   I know what to eat and what not to eat to keep my skin looking great.   Those dematologists who say food does not cause bad skin are wrong - at least in my case.  My skin clears up with a cleaner diet.

Right now with the show being so far away - about 4 weeks, the light is dimmer, but still on the horizon.  I still have plenty of energy to get through my day, and know come every Sunday I will be prepping my food.  Even if I was not dieting (referred to as non normal - official dieting mode), I would still prep my food. The difference between on track, and diviating every now and again is small for me.  This is who I am, what I was born to do, and am lucky that I happen to be in love with most of it.

At times the things that I do not love about "the change".  Number one is, how cold I am most of the time.  I wear a hat around the house a bit kangaroo hoodie, and at times splash pants or track pants, socks, and of course boot slippers.  Please don't read into this too much.  I do not have a metabolic issue because I am cold - I am just getting skinny, which means less bodyfat.  And with the temperature being -10 degrees Celsius or less, I feel the cold.  When not working out, my gym is a very cold place to work.  I am toying with the idea of having a heater underneath my desk at work.

Number two - My face - right now I like how I look, but getting down to those low number makes my face so skinny - smiling results in more lines than a map.  Probably out of everything this is the part that I like least.  I like my body how it is now - 4 weeks of consistent dieting makes me like my current physique.  If I had to choose a body to have all the time, this is the body that I would want.  The results come from the food (obviously) - and practicing the routine.  Once I start really getting into that training, my body takes a different shape and it is easier to keep the weight off when I am doing all this high intensity training - such as my routine.

Number three - the number of bathroom trips.  Always planning where to go, and how much to drink based on where you are going to be.  I am nearby a bathroom often as if I drink a litre of water about 30 minutes I need to go.  I drive my husband crazy with this one.  This is slightly annoying at this point, but really the worst time is when you need to go and you just got your tan done, and you are not dry yet.   It does get progessively worse during the prep as you are trying to 'fill the void' with something and of course the best option is to use - water.

This week - did 3 days of weights, about 20-30 mins of cardio after (depended on how busy I was at work) and only one day of routine - on Saturday. It was a really effective and efficient practice, however, I would like to have 1-2 more routine days per week.   I am hoping to get in more time with practice this week and am looking for time for it in my schedule.  I think it is doable.

For routine practice - I don't normally put the routine music on and just think about my music and practice.  I tend to move a bit quicker to feel the fatigue.  Then I top the whole practice off with some plyometrics and/or some cardio. 

You can tell I am tired as my feet are not pointed, and the steps are not as 'bouncy' as they should be.

It is about 4 weeks until the show, (a little less) and 3 weeks, before I leave.

This weeks pics are absent (eek sorry...), and there was no one at home to take the photos. I could ask someone at my gym, but I will just wait until Sunday.   Or I could ask my 4 year old.....naah.

You do, or I should say I do, get quite tired near the end, and really I have had moments this weekend where I was not paying attention.  Even my clients know now about my absentmindedness at times during the prep.  Thank goodness they are so forgiving.  This whole progress is only temporary, and I won't be competing forever. ;)

Until Sunday or Monday next week, (with pictures)

A.

No comments: